Betting on the horses is a thrilling and arduous task for any punter and knowing the key horse betting terms used at the tracks is a key component of understanding what’s going on. It can all get a little crazy when horse racing betting terms are thrown about. For an amateur punter the horse racing betting terms can be a big obstacle when trying to place a bet but hopefully by picking out 20 of the most commonly used horse race betting terms, maybe this article can help you learn. Online horse betting is again coming to the forefront of the bookmakers offerings as the popularity grows and the tracks become busier. With the racing season fully underway you might find that a great day out at the races could be just what you need. But don’t go there without knowing the basics of betting and the horse racing betting terminology that you might come across. Online horse racing betting is offered by a variety of bookmakers in the UK and abroad all covering a combination of tracks to provide the bettor with as much choice as possible. The Internet has revolutionised online horse betting and the bookmaker has adapted to the rise in popularity. That is why they now not only offer online horse betting but also self help guides to all the horse racing betting terms you might come across during a day at the races. Don’t let the horse race betting terms fly over your head but instead get to grips with the horse betting terms by using the information available over the Internet.
20 Basic Horse Betting Terms:
1. Accumulator – A multiple outcome bet. Can span several races and will increase the odds whilst decreasing the likelihood of a win.
2. Across the Board – A bet on one horse to win, place and show. Three wagers combined in one. If the horse finishes in 1st all three bets are won, 2nd two bets are won and 3rd one bet is won.
3. Ante Post – A bet placed at least a day in advance predicting the outcome of a future race. Ante post provide better odds in return for a more advanced prediction.
4. Back – To bet on a horse.
5. Chalk – A wager placed on the favourite in the race.
6. Eachway – A bet on a win and/or a place for one horse. Wager is same amount for each bet.
7. Exotic – A wager on a bet that is not win, place or show.
8. Favourite – The horse with the lowest odds quoted as it is the most popular choice to finish 1st.
9. Furlong – Unit of measurement referring to the track. 1/8 of a mile.
10. Hedge – The covering of one bet with a second bet. Normally a hedge bet would be put on a different outcome than what was predicted in the initial bet.
11. Long+Short odds – Long odds are odds with a ratio higher than 10:1 and shorts odds are any bets with a ratio lower than 10:1.
12. Nose – Shortest distance a horse can win a race by.
13. Odds – The chances of a horse winning the race in the eyes of the bookmakers.
14. On the Board – When a horse finishes in any of the top 3 spots in the race.
15. Place – Finishing in the top two, three, four or even five dependant on the number of horse participating. Check before you place your bet on what qualifies as a place bet.
16. Racecard – A programme for the races in the event.
17. Show – 3rd Place finish.
18. Tips – an experts view on the race and his/her predictions on the outcome.
19. Win – 1st Place finish.
20. Wire – The finish line.
The aim of the game is to beat the bookmakers. Pay attention to the horse betting rules in place and brush up on the horse race betting terms available to you. Bookmakers want to provide the punter with as much choice as possible by opening up more markets to the bettors. The key to online horse betting is to enjoy yourself and even if you don’t win, you can enjoy the excitement of watching the races whilst understanding the horse betting terms you will hear.
888sport.com is a bookmaker dedicated to bringing you the best online horse betting with clear and concise horse racing betting terms so as not to confuse you. All of which is available on the Internet so that you can place your bet from the safety of your home on a secure service in the UK or abroad. So get involved with online horse betting over the Internet at the bookmakers 888sport.com.